Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



Back Hedge Remix


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Just got back from hanging with my first and best friend ever. We moved in across the street from him. I've been his friend since I was three and he was four. In some ways I feel I know him better than my parents.

Eventually he and I figured out all the ways through the yards of the neighborhood. Six ways around either side and the sneak route through the back hedge and behind the Gunther's pool. It was their property, but with our travels and battles and chases and games, we made their land our own.

Culture is the external world we live in. The place where laws, customs, ideals and art, food and commerce, knowledge and transportation all intersect. The way we let the world and each other live, as we choose it every day. It is the English we speak to one another. It is the music that undulates through the hot city air. It is the paint in the frames on the walls in the buildings, and it is the spraypaint on the walls of the brick city streets. Culture is what we agree on and share. And that it is shared is the most valuable part.

The net makes that easier, and these are some sites that have embraced those ideals: The BBC Archive, a remix central and of course a how-to on putting it all together.

Me and Mazur remixed the back yards of our 'hood into our own private adventures. I take the things I see and read and hear and bring them back to my wife and friends. In moments of perfect alignment the Big Lebowski emerges for a moment and The Dude tells us exactly what should be said.

Humans live in a culture of creation, and to progress we must share ideas and echo thoughts and test the shape of the world against our fears. For culture to thrive we must play.


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3