Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



Blackout!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



It's been getting tougher and tougher to keep thrunk updated as often as accoster. The main reason is that I simply have far less time to peruse the internet than I ever have before. And by the time I get home at night, I'm more interested in talking politics or relating the funny/weird parts of my days out on the street, than I am just surfing around to find stuff for thrunk.

I'm not going to stop, but you can definitely expect that this site will be updated slightly less than before. Which was already happening anyway.

But I've got a few things for today, so here goes!

First off is Nine Brain Quirks You Didn't Know You Had, (via lifehack)

And here's an image of the East Coast during the big blackout in August of '03. Right before it happened I had gotten a call offering me a temp job in Manhattan. I called Lu to tell her while she was out of town with her Aunt helping with a photo shoot. Seconds after that I jumped on the subway to head back to Brooklyn. About ten minutes later I was on the subway, and just before we pulled into the Downtown Brooklyn station the train went dark and slowed to a halt. Moments later the emergency lights came on, the train moved forward about 10 feet and the doors opened. We sat there for about 5 minutes waiting to see what was going on before someone told us there was no power, and we weren't going anywhere. The mass chaos in the unfamiliar streets of downtown Brooklyn really took me by surprise and it was very freaky to find out that no one had power, for miles around, and that cellphones didn't even work. For a while, I definitely thought it was an attack of some kind.

Lu couldn't get back into Manhattan for hours, and I had to figure out where her apartment was, which I had only just moved into. Spent the night strolling the streets of Park Slope meetin' people over candlelight, sipping beers on the sidewalk before they could get warm.


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3