Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



Faster


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Wow. 33. Hard to believe. I thought 33 was an age for old people, but I certainly don't *feel* old.
32 was an amazing year. With planning for the wedding, the wedding itself, and then the whirlwind of those few months before heading off for Southeast Asia, this year has gone by rather quickly. But that's also a mathematical fact. As we move through life, from birth to death, we accumulate years. Your first year alive, it was 100% of the time you had been here. By the time you turned eleven though, that 10th year was only 1/10 of the time you've spent on earth. And the number only shrinks from there. Percentage-wise, this year was shorter and therefore, faster. If we ever figure out how to live past 100, those later years will be but blinks of the eye.

I always think of my birthday as the start of my own personal new year. The one on January 1st is a collective agreement to keep the calendar in line. But birthdays, for me, mark a moment of restart and return. I guess it's 'cause I'm such a space geek that I can't help but feel something fun and jittery about the idea that today this planet passes through the area of space where I first drew the air of this earth. I know it doesn't really matter to anyone else, but I love it. I love other people's birthdays, too. I love feeling, for one day, the un-feelable velocity of this planet around the sun. And at the speed we are moving, about 12 miles per second, that's pretty damn fast. (That's SF to NYC in about 4 minutes.)

Time to make some bacon and head to the museum. Gonna try and take this day slow. I only get one of them a year.


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3