Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



Between Worlds


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I stepped out of Grand Central Terminal at 6pm last Thursday evening to the mad rush of humanity that is New York City. I had taken the train there from New Haven and over the course of the next few days I traveled to Jersey City, to Brooklyn and all over Manhattan with only a Metrocard and my own two feet. It was incredible. To be able to move so quickly and efficiently through the world, covering vast distances, all via public transportation was simply incredible.

It was daunting, as well, though. The huge superstructure that is the greater New York Metropolitan area is almost impossible to fully comprehend. I've been to New York many times in my life. But this was the first time I had ever traveled there by train and then used the subways exclusively. It is also the first time since living in San Francisco that I have had a chance to truly explore NYC again. I was amazed by my surroundings. I allowed myself to be consciously dwarfed by the towering buildings. I took the time to feel the pavement under my feet, to notice the endless miles of roads, to view the uncountable windows, to feel hot breath of millions of humans that swarmed around me. It was wonderful and scary and overwhelming and awesome, all wrapped up together. I can't wait to go back.

But in a few hours, I'm going the other way, both physically and metaphysically. North instead of south, we are heading to New Hampshire to hang with three other people instead of thirty. A few hundred or maybe a thousand humans will be in the miles surrounding us, instead of 7 million. We will drive up there and when we go anywhere it will be in a car, or if we do walk, we will be the only people on those snowy trails, encased by barren trees and beneath the vast expanse of the open sky. And it goes without saying we'll be stopping at McNeill's in Brattleboro on the way up!

Here's some Friday fun. Hope you all have a great weekend!


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3