Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



Solid Stories


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I'm gonna start right off today focusing on the negative. I can't help it. Reading through the paper today there was one article that I just absolutely loathed. "When There Is No 'We' in Marriage" is the title, and that's not even the worst part. The article is about two people who seem to care more about a) themselves and b) complaining, than just about anything else. It's horrible. Perhaps these people are just great in person, and maybe their arrangement makes sense for them, but the article makes their marriage sound awful. I suppose that should be a lesson to me about reading the Sunday Styles section of the paper. The rest of it really wasn't much better.

I always enjoy the Week in Review portion of the NYTimes, but in the last few weeks nothing has really stood out. This edition was a little better with a good article about the recent assassination of a Hezbollah commander Imad Mugniyah and the complex and shadowy forces behind that event, another about the different primary processes of our two main political parties, and a third article about about art theft. The image in this post is from that article in Times and is of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum where several pieces were taken from years ago. The crime has not been solved and the pieces, worth over $300 million, are still missing. The photo was taken by Keith Meyers.

There's some good news in the Sunday Biz Section. Silicon Valley companies and entrepreneurs have begun to turn their attention to solar power and their flair for innovation and miniaturization have helped to push the boundaries of this technology. There are also some new tools to help you learn languages, one using podcasts and the other harnessing the power of social networks, VoIP and instant messaging.

The last story I'm gonna talk about tonight is on the front page of the Connecticut section. It's a feel-good story with a bit of current events thrown in to give it a hook, and some depth. As soon as I started reading it, I thought of my friend Steve and the skating rink he builds every winter in his back yard. It is wonderful to think of all the fun he and his kids will have out there every year, provided the weather cooperates. As soon as I have good health insurance I'm gonna get out there and skate, too. I'm sure his oldest (now 3) can already skate circles around me.


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3