Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



Jamaican Summer


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Summer has officially arrived for me. Camping this weekend was the first sure sign, and then today right around 2pm it started getting really hot and quite breezy. The tree limbs were swaying and the leaves were turned up in the way that can only mean thunderstorms are imminent. By 3:30pm the sky had gone black and I could sense-but-not-quite-see the lightning before thunder boomed off of East Rock in the distance. With the downpour came lots of bolts and bangs and all of it made me very happy.

There is something wonderful and true about a summer afternoon punctuated with a powerful t-storm. Now the air is light and breezy and the mugginess of this afternoon has mostly dissipated. However, I'm not quite convinced there isn't another storm on the way. Radar shows new bands springing up to our west but they are not exactly lined up to pass right over New Haven. I'm an absolute nut about weather. It feels good to be back in a place where the weather can vary wildly. SF had a steady rhythm that lulled me into paying less attention.

Next time you're on Google Maps, make sure to check out the "More" button. I've seen it and ignored it a few times but it turns out there's good stuff that has just been added. And I just added Lu's photo of the West River, VT to the website Panoramio.

I wonder how long it will take for that photo to appear on the link above. I also wonder how long it will take for the camping glow to fade. I love it all: the magnificent mayhem and mess, the suddenly cool nights and freezing pre-dawn, and best of all the gorgeous breezy pause between the moment the burgers hit the grill and when evening has arrived and dinner is served. Summer nights should be spent around a campfire. That is truly the only way to do it.


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3