Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



Voraciously Addicted


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Major slacking on the posting recently. It's because I have a serious problem that only manifests periodically. The fact is, I'm addicted to books. And when I get a book that I like to read, I kinda do it in lieu of everything else. Pile on top of that a crick in my neck that's got my whole skull throbbing, and you've got the recipe for serious, professional slacking. We're talking propped up on the couch with ice on the offending muscle and page after page of written text.

Really, I'm actually sorta reading 2 books at the same time, and it turns out they have quite a bit in common, thematically. The way they are each written could not be more different, though. Against the Day by Pynchon and Quicksilver by Stephenson both take place in a fictionalized version of history, and both deal with the hidden workings of the world. Namely, money, gold, silver and the pursuit of the underlying structures that inform and support the shape of the world as we know it today, as it was developing, then. And best of all, it is pure coincidence that I am reading both of them at the same time.

In accordance with the mathematical ideas alluded to in Quicksilver, I give you pi, visualized, and then a surprising, albeit, seemingly unrelated video that also deals with the mystery of circles.

Early wakeup for work tomorrow. I dread the alarm already.


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3