Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



The Frothing Crest


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I am amazed by the speed at which life moves, sometimes. I went through a period a few years ago when I lived in Boston where it seemed that every day was faster than the next. The job I had, the relationship I was in, the way the seasons just sped by, it was insane. Then three years and a bit ago, I moved out here to SF, and suddenly time slowed. Life went back to the leisurely pace I wanted. Part of it was being far from home, family and friends. Part of it was the pace of this city by the Bay. Suddenly my world was almost utterly without expectations. I had to get to work on time. I had to pay rent. I had to be a good person and friend, obviously, but there simply weren't that many demands on my time. It was fun! But in many ways, it was empty, too.

All that has changed. Time is moving quickly again. Mostly because my wedding is only 16 days away, but also because my life has changed. I feel more like I did back when I lived in Boston than I did when I first moved here, but it's better than either period of time.

I've learned how to step out of my life and slow things down a bit. I've also learned how to better ride the cresting froth of time while it is barreling towards the shore. This weekend will be my last chance to step out and chill out, for just a little while. It is kinda funny though what I'm choosing to do to relax. Whitewater rafting. Lu, on the other hand, is choosing quiet and home and maybe a bit of spa time in between wedding crafts and final details. Both are good for each of us. And I'm ready for everything that's coming next as we spiral in to the big day.

I have a feeling time will slow again a bit once this event planning madness is over, but I can't be sure. You really have to take bold steps to truly change the current you are in. I guess I'll be practicing that on the river this weekend.

If you really feel like dropping out, give The Tribe a shot. Is it a scam? I don't know. It seems like it could be scammy, but then again, maybe not. And Burning Man is coming up so consider that as an escape, too. There, the only times that you can truly count are sunset, sunrise and Burn. Everything else is yours to do with what you will.

Once again, though, time has me pinned between sleep and work. The three together force me into unconsciousness where in my dreams I will run and leap and then take flight.

AM Update: It works! I cannot believe it, but I actually had a rather amazing flying dream last night. In fact, I was flying so well that tourists in my dream were actually videotaping me! I'll see if I can get a copy and post it on the 'net.


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3