Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



Tango and Hacks


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



White water rafting was gnarly. And tiring. Full review Half a weekend review over at mediajam.

NYTimes had an interesting article today about a little thing called The Mosquito Tone. It was originally created as a sound to play outside convenience stores or other shops where hooligans congregate. It's a tone that's so high-pitched, most adults no longer have the ability to hear it. To kids, however, it's powerfully annoying. The only problem is that kids are pretty damn smart, and have started using the sound as a ringtone. This way, they can get calls or texts in class, and the teacher won't hear it. Give it a try here, and find out if you're young or old. Here's the article, but that link will degrade after a few days.

Recently in the midst of wedding planning I realized I was using Gmail in a slightly unusual way. I've found the "Drafts" folder to particularly useful as a way to store documents that I'm updating daily. Documents I have no intention of sending. For example, I have a to do list in there, that I can access and edit from either work or home. Before I would email the list to myself, then copy and paste it into another email with all the info updated. Now, in 2 clicks I'm in an open, workable document. It is great for any document that is being changed often . It's saved, it's available and it could not be easier to edit. Give it a try.

As for music, here's Gotan Project. Tango + electronica and beats = some really weird, fun shit. If the Flaming Lips did tango, this is what it would sound like.

There's one thing I took from the river that will help me in the coming days, and whenever life gets a little tough: paddle through. That was the instruction for dealing with the rapids. Don't just let the water take you where it will, 'cause that will end in capsizing. Instead, when you get to the tough parts, you've got to paddle even harder, steer true and force your way through the current towards the easy bliss that will follow shortly. We're in the rapids now with wedding planning. But I can see the calm bliss of the event itself and afterwards just a bit downstream. Together we're going to paddle through, and most importantly, enjoy the ride the whole way there.


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3