Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



Leisure Life


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Ah, what a weekend. So good to get out of the city with friends, spend some time in the woods, fish a bit, build a campfire and just revel in the glory of nature and its fruits. Well, not so much even the fruits as the fruits of fruit (wine), as well as barely, hops and yeast (beer). The Boonville Beer Fest was a rollicking good time. Over 70 beers on tap, and though I tried to focus on the IPAs as my basic approach, beers like Arrogant Bastard by Stone Brewery demanded sampling. Lots of people there, but only a short wait for each pour, and by 5pm, the entire place was one big happy grin. On Sunday the wineries of Anderson Valley called to us. The ones that stood out were Duxoup, Wilson and Fritz. Picked up a nice bottle of Duxoup Syrah I'm already looking forward to cracking open. Some people can save their wines for years on end. We, on the other hand, prefer our wines glistening in glasses and swirling in our mouths.

Got some books for ya today: Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood was an excellent, eerie read. She did the Handmadien's Tale which is a must, and this book is in the same vein. Near-future insanity told simply and directly without a lot of tech or hard science. She extrapolates social trends more than gadgets, and creates clear, interesting characters to inhabit the worlds. Other books that most compel me are: To Kill a Mockingbird, Gravity's Rainbow and Jitterbug Perfume.

As much as I love music, books move me more. I fell in love with creation between the pages of the Lord of the Rings and The Dragonriders of Pern in my early years. I have never looked back.


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3