Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



Thresholds


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Words or music, words or music. It's a daily dilemma for me. Usually I just do both: read the paper and listen to my iPod. But there are other struggles, too. Paper or novel, novel or magazine, or maybe just the whole world around me, without any of those. But the cacaphony of humanity can be deafening, too. Words or music is the question I always come back to. The things that make my internal world light up.

Words. Music.

From wikipedia: "Music is conceptual time expressed in the structures of tones and silence." And "a word is a unit of language that carries meaning and consists of one or more morphemes which are linked more or less tightly together.

We can transmit whole albums, shows, entire cannons of musical work in the blink of an eye. That's not yet true for the books of our world. They remain trapped between their covers, the words pressed tight in billions and trillions and gazillions of pages.

I think when the interweb is finally uploaded with all the language and literature and history and encyclopedias, that a threshold will have been crossed. I do think we're almost there. I can't wait to see what happens then.

This screen is more than a picture, more than a page. It is a tunnel into the infinite net, and into the minds of my friends. Data is brimming over. We are joined as a species as never before. And we're all finding new ways to show ourselves and see each other.


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3