Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



Brain Modes


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Clearly, salmon is the most delicious of fish. The George Foreman grill does amazing things to a 1" salmon steak that's lightly glazed with honey, brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with Slap Yer Momma and fresh ground pepper, and then rubbed with crushed garlic.

Went to Lucky 13 on Market for a beer, sat on the patio, read the paper and listened to my iPod. Wilco, Radiohead, Jane's Addiction in the ears, Racer 5 in the glass and the Circuits section of the NYTimes spread out in front of me on the picnic table. I was interested in every item featured today, especially the Belkin TuneTalk. The article about online video-editing/sharing tools I found extremely compelling, as well. I'm checking out Grouper and Eyespot right now. There are videos on both that I've see on YouTube, but these two sites are really for mixing short digicam or phone clips, online. That you can upload and mix is the key, here.

As I sat there reading, I remember thinking that these sites might be useful when we are trying to put together all the digital bits and pieces of our wedding weekend. Friends could upload from where ever they are, and then Lu and I could take the parts and weave them into a whole. But then my thoughts drifted on as I read about other craziness in the world detailed in the pages of the paper. The music flowed and the sun got low and I realized that my brain works so differently than the woman's that I'm about to marry. I guarantee, she has been thinking nonstop, all day, every day about our upcoming wedding. All day. Every day. First thing when she wakes up, last thing before bed. I'm not like that. I actually make a conscious effort to forget about certain things at certain points in my day.

At 11am when it is sunny and gorgeous outside, I make myself forget my office has windows. When I drive on the highway, I refuse to remember the terrifying statistics of the road. When I am poor, I purge from my thoughts the idea of luxury. I actively compartmentalize. I can live wholly in one mode of thought, even though the tenets of that mode may sometimes contradict other aspects of other modes. Sitting out on the bench sipping my beer and reading the paper, I forgot completely, for a time, that I was in the midst of planning the largest party I have ever thrown. Same thing happened about an hour into the poker game last night. I realized I had not thought about the big day in a long while. But I'm pretty sure Lu doesn't spend much time like that, now. The work that she has put in is impressive, though. We're essentially one week out tonight and that's a pretty exciting feeling.

I have 2 days left of work. After that I'm no longer in the vortex. Instead, my state will change into a human arrow flying through time towards the target of relaxing bliss. The airplane flying east will give me momentum. I will be returning to my place of birth to gather my tribe together one time. I cannot wait. I'm ready to be swept into this thing we've created together and see what amazing things are going to happen.

AM Update: Check out Jumpcut, too. It's another video upload, mixing and sharing site. Thanks Jen!


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3