Elm City Dad | Elm City Mom



The Frustration of New Tech


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



There's so many damn things to do on the computer that I could end up sitting here all friggin night. Especially now that I have a video camera. I got a whole crapload of great footage from our wedding and from High Sierra, but the problem is I really have no idea how to use the computer software to edit it all effectively. Part of me thought "oh I'll just hook the camera up, grab the video, cut out the crappy parts, lay in some music and we'll be good to go." But the other part of me--The Cynic--knew it wasn't going to be that easy. At least not with a PC.

Couldn't figure out how to grab the video from the camera, first off, because the manual says absolutely nothing about that. That worried me, and my fears were justified. There was no way the camcorder instructions would have any way to explaining the morass of commands and options that resides within the 2 (yes, 2) video editing programs that came with camera. Finally managed to 'capture' the images, but then after a bit of editing, I had to 'output' the file, and I could not for the life of me figure out where that 'output' was going. Especially vexing was the little bubble that appeared that said "you designate where to save the file" but only 1 folder was given, and there was no way to change it. Haha!! Take that human!!

Finally I discovered how to move the file around once it was saved, and then even compress and email it, but all of that took at least 3 hours.

I have a feeling when I go and try to do all this on the Macbook, it's going to be a cakewalk. It was enough to make me want to do this. If only I had a robot that I could call in to come bail me out!

But then I started surfing and found the Top 25 Calvin and Hobbes strips which brought a huge smile to my face. Loved that comic. If he was still producing it, I would read it every day. I remember crying when the last one splashed across the newspaper pages. It still gets me to this day.

These next two are a bit techy, but they are pretty damn cool. BillQ will make sure you don't get into any jams with creditors. And then there's YouOs which is "a web operating system that lets you run diverse applications within a web browser. Small applications like sticky notes or clocks. Large applications like word processing, mp3 players, and instant messaging." Just create an account and log on and you'll see how cool it is. Google will buying or burying this company within the year, I'd say.

Last is some video fluff. It's for a bank you'll probably never get to join, but their ad is rather impressive.

I hope to have impressive video of my own up, eventually, but for now you'll just have to live with our cat beggin for headrubs.


before

way before

others


ATOM 0.3